Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Off & Running, Finally!

Well, I now have two weeks in with a few of my small groups.  :)  One of the buildings I teach in is a kindergarten through third grade building.  On two days a week I meet with kindergartners and third graders and three days a week I meet with first and second graders.  Every quarter I switch it up so the two day group becomes the three day group. (It's quiet interesting.) I have been amazed at how much I am covering in my 35 minute sessions with these students using WBT.  My basic schedule is:
*Review Rules
*Review Biffy Tunes (K - 1, although the 2nd & 3rd graders like them, too.)
*Review Power Pix
*Genius Paragraph (I work Biffy Tune words into the sentences for my kindergartners and Power Pix concepts in to the sentences for the older students.)
*Super Speed (Letters for K, 100 for 1 - 3)
*New Biffy Tune words (K - 1)
*New Power Pix using the 5 step lesson plan
*Read (Crazy Professor will become part of this a little later.)

The students are really doing well.  The second grade group is all about WBT.  They do the Class-Yes, Teach/Okay, Mirror, etc.  The first graders are beginning to get it.  The third graders were a mixed group. Some would do everything wonderfully while others acted like they were too cool to participate.  Then I introduced the Super Improver's Wall.  Now the third graders are all about earning those stars.  They earn stars for beating their Super Speed record and for participating (gesturing, Class-Yes, Teach/Okay, etc.)  The kindergartners were my challenge.  They looked at me like I was crazy.  It was as if they didn't trust me to really want them to move and talk.  You wouldn't have believed how quite they got at first, but now they are making progress.  They will do the Class-Yes and gesture for the Biffy Tunes and Power Pix.  The Teach/Okay is still a challenge, but we will master it.

All in all, I am very happy with how it is going so far.  I get to start with my groups in the other building I teach in on Monday.  :)  That is a third through fifth building.  I am anxious to see how everything goes with these groups.  I'll keep you posted.

Until next time, happy WBT!

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment