Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Genius Paragraph Challenge

I have to tell you all that I am loving WBT with my small reading groups!  One of the biggest successes that I have had as been the Genius Paragraph.  At one of the buildings I work in, I have been with my small reading groups since the day after Labor Day.  Each day we start our routine with reviewing the rules then doing the Genius Paragraph.  For the first several weeks, I wrote the Blah Sentence, The Spicy Sentence, and the Extender/Complexor Sentence.  Then we did the Genius Paragraph orally using the adder gesture as we came up with the sentences for the paragraph.  Last week one of my third graders asked me "Can we write the sentences ourselves?"  (This coming from a student I have worked with for the previous two years.  He never wanted to do any writing and not much reading.)  My response was "Yes..of course you can write sentences yourselves".  The next time we were together (two days later) he walks in my room saying "Remember we get to write the sentences to the Genius Paragraph ourselves today".  I said "I didn't forget that!"

They wrote really great sentences and were very excited.  Each student wrote the Blah, Spicy, and Extender/Complexor sentences.  Then we came up with the Genius Paragraph sentences orally.

I shared the sentences they wrote with some of the teachers and bragged on how well they did.  So today my second graders came in and said, "Can we write the Genius Paragraph sentences ourselves today?" 
I'm thinking to myself, I can't believe this, I've got these kids asking to write when most teachers are saying I can't get my kids to write anything.  So; of course, I said "Sure you can".  They did a great job.  Following is what one of my second graders wrote today:

Blah sentence:  I have dogs.
Spicy sentence:  I have two dogs.
Extender/Complexor sentence:  I have two dogs that are twins.
Genius Paragraph:  I have two dogs that are twins.  Their names are Sally and Lacey.  They like to    chew on bones.  It is fun having twin dogs.

The others in the group did the Blah, Spicy, and Extender/Complexor sentences.  Then we came up with the Genius paragraph sentences orally for them using the adder gesture.

Then, you won't believe this, my second graders issued a Genius Paragraph challenge to the third graders.  They asked me to leave up what they had wrote in the room.  Tomorrow when my third graders come in, I am supposed to say to them, "Do you think you can write a paragraph better than this?"  And the challenge is on....

I am having good successes all the way around with WBT so far, but the successes with the Genius Paragraph have really been amazing.  The teachers in this building are even saying that they are seeing changes in the way these kiddos are coming up with much better complex sentences.

No comments:

Post a Comment